tulip writing

tulip writing

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Break a leg! - do I have to?

 

We could put the question to this amazing almond tree in its full blossom. It had every possible branch broken by a merciless snowstorm and was literally crushed to the ground. Not only did it prevail, it seems to have found a new way to define its own beauty.



These days nature in and around Jerusalem is beginning to dress itself in its spring colors and it is hard to image what it looked like two months ago, when it was attacked by the heaviest winter weather in about 100 years.

Last weekend I was drawn outside by the spring air to take a glimpse at the beauty of nature being born again. This incredible almond tree instantly caught my attention and fascination. At first I did not even understand what I was looking at. Only upon getting closer did it become clear that the branches of this lovely princess of trees had been bent under the weight of the snow and simply brought to the ground. Yet, the suffering princess did not lose her determination to pioneer spring and brought forth an abundance of blossoms at first chance. Since she stands at a slope, the delicate blossoms seem to flow down the hill, thus decorating it in a most elegant fashion.

“How profound”, I thought. Doesn’t this tree express something that philosophers have tried to put in words far as long as words exist? It holds a wisdom in it that people are constantly rephrasing. Just recently I read an article about having to fail in order to succeed.

As I walked on I came across an even clearer illustration of the same message. This fragile youngster was affected even more severely; its crown seemed completely fallen. But that did not keep its flowers from opening up in a call for the continuation of the life cycle.  
 

What profound aphorism would I use as title to the picture, when I share it on my Facebook page? Who should I best quote to express in words what happened here?  Could I even find something that isn’t already completely chewed up and make everyone go “awwwww” and scroll down to the next profound bla on their walls? Probably not.

 The truth is we’d all rather be beautiful and successful without having our branches broken and crowns crushed. But the trees are still awesome.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment